Arfa Karim, a name to be Remembered Forever
14 January, 2012 was a day which is one of the darkest days of Pakistan’s history. It wasn’t some storm, an earthquake or any other natural disaster which struck the shores of our country that day. Rather, we lost a gem which enhanced the value of Pakistan to a greater extent in front of the World. Arfa Karim will be remembered for her achievements which made the image of our country clearer on the map of the World.
Rising to the fame
Arfa Karim was born in a local village of Pakistan. What she did at the age of 9 was unmatchable back then. She became the youngest Microsoft Certified Professional in 2004, stunning none other than Bill Gates himself, the founder of Microsoft.
Arfa received massive recognition in the Pakistani media and was interviewed by various TV channels. She was invited by Microsoft at the Tech-Ed developers conference in 2006 where she appeared as keynote speaker. Arfa was the only Pakistani among more than 5000 developers in that conference.
Below is the list of achievements which Arfa received: (Source: Wikipedia)
- She also received national and international recognition including the prestigious Pride of Performance award by Government of Pakistan in 2005.
- She also got youngest first flight certificate from Dubai Flying Club.
- Arfa Karim was presented the Fatima Jinnah Gold Medal in the field of Science and Technology by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan Shaukat Aziz on the occasion of 113th birth anniversary of Fatima Jinnah.
- She also received the Salaam Pakistan Youth Award again in August 2005 from the President of Pakistan.
- Arfa Karim is also the recipient of the President’s Award for Pride of Performance, a civil award usually granted to people who have shown excellence in their respective fields over a long period of time. She is the youngest recipient of this award.
In recognition of her achievement, Arfa was made brand ambassador for Pakistan telecommunication Company’s 3G Wireless Broadband service named EVO in January 2010.
There is also a Software Technology Park named Arfa Software Technology Park in Lahore. It is also a house to the Information Technology University.
On 22 December 2011, Arfa suffered a cardiac arrest after an epileptic seizure and was admitted in Lahore CMH hospital. On 9th of January, Arfa’s parents were contacted by Bill Gates himself and assured his assist in her struggle against coma.
She died on 14th of January 2012. And is buried in Lahore. CM of Punjab, Shehbaz Sharif attended her funeral as well. On her death, Bill Gates said: “Today is the black day of my life and same for Pakistan because I lost my princess colleague and Pakistan lost her Pakistani.”
Arfa will be remembered forever in the hearts of true patriotic Pakistanis.
I am very glad to see that people are following what I did and have succeeded in beating me. I would say that the other youngsters should follow suit, thereby convincing the people to take us kids seriously. Our generation is very talented and so should be promoted.” –Arfa Karim